Built in 1982, the Dartmouth Sportsplex is a large, family-focused health, fitness, and recreation complex serving all regions of the Halifax Regional Municipality. Currently undergoing a twenty-five million revitalization project, the facility includes a running track, racquetball and squash courts, full fitness centre, an arena, and two swimming pools—with a brand new double gymnasium, welcoming community spaces, and much more to come. In addition to the physical renovations, the Dartmouth Sportsplex is launching a large-scale community outreach and accessibility program to reduce barriers, ensuring that everyone in our community can play. The Dartmouth Sportsplex is community-focused and values diversity. We are an equitable employer, recognizing and embracing each person’s talents, skills, and individual perspectives. We strive to create the most comfortable experience for our vibrant community and staff.
The Dartmouth Sportsplex is seeking an energetic recreation professional to lead our camp participants. The successful candidate will be a great communicator who’s passionate about the impact recreation has on the health of our community. We’re looking for individuals who:
- Have 1-3 years of experience working with children and youth.
- Have 1-2 years of coaching experience (level 1 an asset).
- Have a human services diploma (or related education/equivalent experience in the sport and recreation field).
- Are self-motivated, organized, and comfortable collaborating with other staff.
- Enjoy working in a team setting and thrive when managing multiple priorities and goals.
- Can work flexible hours, including regular night and weekend shifts. This position has regular shift options of mornings, afternoons, afterschool, evenings and weekends.
- Are competent leading multiple sports and child/youth activities in a recreation setting (as well as e-mail, word processing programs, and spreadsheets).
- Have a desire and interest in inspiring and encouraging children and youth.
- Values and respects diversity in all its forms.
Previous community involvement and knowledge of the Dartmouth community an asset, as is the ability to ice skate. Preference will be given to candidates who have High Five, coaching, and first aid certification. This is a part-time, hands-on position. The successful candidate must provide a criminal record and child abuse registry check. The Program Instructor will work closely with the Child, Youth, and Sports Coordinator.
A detailed employer profile and job description are available by contacting Colter Simmonds – Child, Youth, and Sports Coordinator at email@example.com. Interested candidates can apply by e-mail (preferred) with a resume and cover letter on or before November 8, 2018 (posting will remain open until all positions are filled). If e-mail is not an option, applications can be mailed to:
Child, Youth and Sports Coordinator
110 Wyse Road
Dartmouth, N.S., B3A 1M2
Any questions can be directed to Colter Simmonds at (902) 464-2600 (ext. 323) or firstname.lastname@example.org.