Group Fitness Instructor
Built in 1982, the Dartmouth Sportsplex is a large, family-focused health, fitness, and recreation complex serving all regions of the Halifax Regional Municipality. Currently undergoing a twenty-five million revitalization project, the facility includes a running track, racquetball and squash courts, full fitness centre, an arena, and two swimming pools—with a brand new double gymnasium, welcoming community spaces, and much more to come. In addition to the physical renovations, the Dartmouth Sportsplex is launching a large-scale community outreach and accessibility program to reduce barriers, ensuring that everyone in our community can play. The Dartmouth Sportsplex is community-focused and values diversity. We are an equitable employer, recognizing and embracing each person’s talents, skills, and individual perspectives. We strive to create the most comfortable experience for our vibrant community and staff.
The Dartmouth Sportsplex is seeking an energetic, highly-qualified recreation professional to lead groups through safe, effective exercise. The successful candidate will be a well-rounded fitness professional with exceptional communication skills (both verbal and non-verbal communication), as well as effectively gauge participant levels of exertion and ability in a class setting. We’re looking for individuals who:
- Have and maintain a valid, nationally recognized Fitness Instructor certification, or equivalent.
- Hold or are willing to obtain a valid, current CPR certification (obtained from a live class, recertified within past 12 months).
- Are self-motivated, organized, and comfortable collaborating with other staff members.
- Can instruct several levels of exercise intensity, offering a safe, effective, and fun fitness experience that is suitable for most levels.
- Are comfortable instructing large groups and confident in their ability to offer a safe, fun, and effective experience regardless of the size of class.
- Can work flexible hours, including regular early morning, night, and weekend shifts.
- Are competent using email, social media platforms, and text.
Preference will be given to candidates who have additional facility-relevant certifications, experience in the fitness industry, and willingness and ability to fill other roles (such as Personal Trainer, Welcome Desk personnel, Weight Room Attendant, Workshop Coordinator, etc.).
This is a part-time, temporary position with the Dartmouth Sportsplex, with potential for full-time with the addition of hours in other roles.
A detailed employer profile and job description are available by contacting Andréa Morrison - Health, Fitness, and Recreation Coordinator. Interested candidates can apply by e-mail (preferred) with a resume and cover letter to email@example.com before Thursday, November 8, 2018 or until the positions are filled. If e-mail is not an option, applications can be mailed to:
Andréa Morrison - Health, Fitness, and Recreation Coordinator
110 Wyse Road
Dartmouth, N.S., B3A 1M2
Any questions can be directed to Andréa Morrison at (902) 464-2600 (ext. 315) or firstname.lastname@example.org.